Vegan Scallops With Bacon
SERVES 4 | PREP 30 Mins | COOK 50 Min
- 1 bunch parsley
- 250ml groundnut oil
- 100ml aquafaba and 1 tsp apple sauce (or 2 egg yolks)
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 medium sized celeriac
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 king oyster mushroom stalks
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 pack Naked Without the Oink Bacon
- 200g frozen peas
- 4 king oyster mushroom heads
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- Pea shoots
- Preheat oven to 180C and then prepare your vegan scallops with mushrooms and bacon.
- Parsley emulsion Bring water to boil in a pan and add parsley – cook for 20 seconds then add to bowl of iced water to cool, before squeezing excess water. Place the parsley in a blender with the groundnut oil and blitz until combined. Sieve the parsley oil (drip through a coffee filter). In a large bowl, whisk together the egg yolk or aquafaba, and white wine vinegar - gradually adding the dripped oil to reach mayo texture.
- Celeriac puree Peel celeriac and cut into chunks,then season and toss in 1 tbsp olive oil to bake in oven. Once softened, blend celeriac. Mix in 1 tbsp of olive oil (if needed) to push through a fine sieve, then season and keep warm in a pan.
- Scallops Cut the king oyster mushroom stalks into scallop sized pieces. Keep any trimmings and the heads for the fricassee. Score a criss-cross pattern into both flat sides of the ‘scallops’. Fry off in a medium-hot frying pan with olive oil, turning once until golden brown.
- Bacon fricassee Cut the mushroom heads and bacon into small pieces and fry off in a hot pan with olive oil. When almost cooked, add the peas.
- To plate Place the celeriac puree onto a plate and spread with the back of a spoon. Place scallops on top and add bacon fricassee and parsley emulsion around the sides of the scallops. Garnish with pea shoots and enjoy! RECIPE CREATED BY NAKED FAN, Mike Bartley (Masterchef 2021), @djamkitchen